Monday, August 18, 2014

A healthy disregard for the impossible.

Today I wont write about Newton or Einstein or Steve Jobs or any of the other legends who been my inspiration for this blog. Today I'll write about an event that has inspired me even more, the Google Student Ambassador Summit in sub-saharan Africa that took place last week in Accra, Ghana.

There is a word for the atmosphere when 130 young and talented students meet from all over Africa, energy, anything but boring. There is a reason #gsassa has been trending for the past week. Every moment was a picture moment. The training spanned all the way from presentations to the wabble dance, factorial claps, all the way to the final competition where each group had to simulate a campus event. Presentations from Googlers and star GSA alumni were inspiring and informative. 10 factorial claps to +Aída Martínez , +Check Nyah+Aneke Chimdindu+Emmanuel A. Gamor , +Ryan Michael , +Freek Vermeer , +Estelle Akofio-Sowah+Jeminatu Alabi-Isama , +Noha Salem and the other speakers I havent been able to tag, you sent the message across. It was interessting to learn Larry Page's slogan "Have a healthy disregard for the impossible".It is definitely how Google developed from a garage project. Did I mention that we got to watch the movie Guardians of the Galaxy and the whole theatre was booked just for us ? Yes, something only google would do. And finally the cultural night 

I met intersting people , really interesting from the rooms, to the dining room, to the selfie moments. I was  lucky to be the roommate +Sithe Ncube  ,the star of the day who amazed everyone with her video making skills, I got a cultural partner (who actually got me a present) +Temitope I Olorund thanx to +Joshua Josh and +June Tessy  for taking the initiative, +Awa Mbengue 's musical talents just amazed me.
Being Tanzanian myself I easily connected with GSAs from Kenya and Uganda ,  +johnstone vusena , +Jarau Moses+DENNIS THUNGU , +Jarau Moses+vivian omondi+kweli mukeli+Miss Chelle+Tushabire Adah , +Kagimu Brian  , +Latifa Mbarak ,, +kweli mukeli , +Victoria Mbabazi  to name a few . Fellow GSA's from SouthAfrica  are loud(at least that's the impression we made),Its really hard to forget people like +Amukelani Hlabano , +Lucretia Ringane , +Alwande Tshabalala , +Avile Maja+CHRISTELLE ATIBIA EMEBIGWINE , +Tubatsi Moloi , +Alan Kow , +Eduan Cronjé , +Dévan Coetzee , +Stan Sibiya+Carla Wilby , +Asongtia Guilian A+diane DIOBE . It really is hard.
The GSA's from Ghana were actually very good hosts, +Abraham Ametepey , +INSAH HAKI+Quarshie Timothy+Suhaib Ahmed+irene sogli +Desmond Nketia Sarpong  , you did a good job.   (I hope I've mentioned everyone).All in all,a 2 minutes conversation with any of the GSA's is enough to prove that Africa has lots of potential.

So I am now the official Google student ambassador for the University of Capetown. Oh yes and I dont have Ebola .:).
Thank you +Jeminatu Alabi-Isama , +Olalekan Samuel , +Aída Martínez , +Noha Salem +Victor(couldn't get his G+ profile).This summit has taught me to build a healthy disregard for the impossible. Together with +Carla Wilby  I hope to do cool things that actually matter at UCT.
Whats a good summit without good food?

Alisa hotels gave us a warm 'Akwaaba' (welcome)

SSA GSA's with our "Google glasses"



Fun times.


Serious things done at the conference

GSA's at UCT
Even the cake had to be Google.
Even the bottle is googly ... :)
South Africa culture at the cultural night.






Google everywhere

I got cool sandals from my cultural partner +Temitope I Olorunda 
With +Sithe Ncube  and +Philip Onyia 


#gsassa, #gsummit2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop in what you have to say ... in the spirit of an amazing life..:)