Saturday, February 25, 2017

[Prague] Runners gonna run


Like all humans, I spend my day doing things. Some of those things are a pain (debugging topping the list) and some of them give me great pleasure, many actually. Topping the list are travelling, running and of course writing.
There is nothing special about running. You just have wear fancy running gear, then one foot in front of the other you try to go as fast possible, aimlessly stamping until you get back to where you started. In the end, you are back to square one with nothing to show for it except maybe sore muscles. Utterly pointless, right? I know there are gazillion reasons why running is good, but the real reason I run is because I like to aimlessly wander, something I can afford to do being an early riser.
It was sensible to stop running while travelling for many reasons. First, for the obvious reason that you have to actually know your way around before you wander. If you are determined enough, you use Google Maps and Street View to plan your route beforehand. A task that naturally takes low priority when you have to think about more urgent matters like catching your flight, planning things to see, food, internet etc. Even if you have been proactive enough to plan your route before, like your primitive ancestors, you are at the mercy of the weather. My plan was to stop running for the time I was travelling but I felt an itch every time a runner passed by. So that’s how I found myself being the crazy tourist running in the European winter.


I woke up to fine weather on my second day in Praha. It was chilly but not too cold. It had rained the previous day but there was no sign of rain for the next few hours. The roads were calling my name and I replied.

The first few steps are difficult, so much internal conflict going on. What if I got lost in the middle of nowhere? What if it starts to rain again? Just imagine the comfort of your bed instead … All the voices stop once I see the river, there is something about running over water that keeps me coming for more. As I cross the Vltava river, my mind, like my feet, begin to wander.

The world on the other side of the river is not so different. Lots of McDonalds, ATM’s, shops, and corporate offices. I pass by the Google office quietly appreciating how much Google Maps has saved my life lately. I pass by the Andel tram station, I see people getting on with their daily life, a life I dearly long for, after living on the go for a month. I cross the pavements to observe merchants opening their shops waiting to receive Czech Korunas (CZK). The Czechs may not like it but I appreciate how cheap Prague compared to Western Europe.


I proceed North thinking of meaning of life and existence. I passed by the Church of our lady victorious which houses the statue Infant Jesus of Prague.  It is believed that it belonged to St. Teresa of Avila, it has been from amongst Nobility and now attracts countless devotees. This reminds me that I’m in Prague, probably for the last time, the meaning of life can wait.

 
Church of our lady victorious
Infant Jesus of Prague

My legs are getting sore from the uphill battle but the view is a consolation. I pass by St. Nicholas church; a baroque church that stands out from miles away. I admire the architecture, pondering how religion inspired people to create masterpieces. I see the magnificent Prague Castle from afar, I make it a point to prioritize visiting it in the day.
 
St. Nicholas Cathedral
By this time, I’m sore, but the grandiosity before me is enough to distract me. It could be the river, but I’m sure it is the bridge, the one and only Charles Bridge of Prague. I had seen it last night but the crowd of tourists deterred my appreciation for it.

On Charles Bridge the previous night


One of the stone towers protecting the bridge


The bridge was commissioned by King Charles IV, the first King of Bohemia to be a Roman Emperor, the same King behind Charles University, Charles Square, Charles Castle etc. Construction began in 1357, to replace the wooden Judith bridge that was destroyed by floods. Being the first bridge made of stone, up until 1870, it was known as the Stone Bridge. Adding to its appeal are the 3 bridge towers protecting it and not 1 or 2 but 30 statues of Saints.
Charles Bridge by night

The Bridge by day

Running by the statues feels holy and ancient. I feel special just having the bridge to myself and perhaps 1 other runner and 1 photographer.  The runner greets me, I reply with an enthusiastic “Morning”, We exchange smiles, smiles expressing the excitement of meeting fellow a.m. wanderers.
 
statues by night

Statue of St John of Nepomuk at the bridge

The Cross at the bridge

I look at my phone and its 5:50 am, the astronomical clock show is enough excuse to route me to the Old Town Square. I arrive with a few minutes to spare to find 5 other eager people. I take the time to of course catch my breath then watch the show for probably millionth time. It strikes me that this is the work of engineers and I’m lucky to be one. I feel special again to watch it in a small crowd.

The clock

As I make my way back “home”, I pass by shops of Old Town. The puppet shops draw my attention, because it is a typical Czech entertainment. I pass by a truck, the driver and passenger cheer me on. I smile back.
Prague puppets


I come across a street that I have passed before but this time I notice a hanging statue. It amazes me how much we miss out on when its noisy and overcrowded, especially when our minds are crowded.
 
The statue I hadn't noticed before.


In a few lapses, I arrive at my hostel. From the outside I look like a mess, I’m sweating and freezing at the same time. I just went 6 km round a circle, to return, with not even a selfie to show for it. Thanks to endorphins, I feel different on the inside: I have meditated, appreciated, connected and cleared my head. It is going to be a great day.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop in what you have to say ... in the spirit of an amazing life..:)