Thursday, February 9, 2017

The Hike to remember.










As awkward as it may sound, my year has just started. Even though, it’s already 40 days into 2017 I'm only beginning to get a feel for it. Between a new job, conference presentations and catching flights, I haven't made time for anything else, except maybe feel guilty about not writing. Crazy is the least I can say about my life between end of last year until recently. On most days I would wake up trying to figure out where on earth I was, literally. In a nut shell, I have been travelling to Europe and Asia for conference presentations and fitting in sightseeing in between. I have also recently started working at Amazon Development Centre Cape Town. There were lots and lots of magical moments which I can’t help but share. My next few posts will be dedicated to that.
Moving onto more exciting things, if you are an intermittent hiker like I am, then chances are you remember the most challenging (or perhaps your most recent) hike, and of course your promise to never hike again. A hike up Montserrat is not one to forget. A picturesque landscape, a stimulating physical challenge and a refreshing religious pilgrimage awaits the bold with the courage to leave the charms of Barcelona.



The views welcoming you to Barcelona













Yes I took this picture!






There were so many ways you could tell that I was a first time visitor. In addition to the obvious that I’m African, I wore jeans, since I clearly underestimated this hilly monastery. Eager as I was, I took the first train that left from Place Espanya to Monistrol Montserrat . The forward journey was quite uneventful, I guess the universe was saving drama for the return journey. From the Monistrol station, I joined other visitors to take the Cremallera (I guess it’s a Spanish word for a cable train) which offered even better views. One might conclude that the whole route to the top is designed for tourists. On getting off the Cremallera, we were greeted with the visitor centre which did a good job of highlighting the points of interest: the Basilica, the museum, the Santa Cova chapel, the choir and the hiking trails. The Basilica houses the statue of the Black Madonna, an old statue of Virgin Mary which is known to have healing powers.
Yo girl has arrived


By this time, I already had a sense of the kind of visitors that Montserrat received. They ranged from either religious pilgrims who were decently dressed, adrenaline junkies in sports gear and then of course there was me, a simply-curious-solo-traveler-who-has-no-idea-what-she-is-getting-into.
I headed straight to the church because let’s face it, who am I to resist the architecture of an old Gothic Basilica.
The Basilica

And she stood infront of the Basilica, all was well.








 In addition to that, the famous boys choir sings daily at 1:00pm in the Basilica, an event I didn’t want to miss. With 2 hours to kill, I had to choose between the museum or the statue of Lady Madonna. I chose the latter because well the museum costs money I didn’t budget for. So, in addition to riding trains for 2 hours, arriving early, touching the Madonna statue demands yet more patience to endure a line so long it makes you wish there were fewer believers. I had no choice but to endure it all the way to the alcove above the altar. 45 minutes later…
I believe I'm healed

Candle lighting after the statue




You may be wondering what exactly makes the statue special.
First, Virgin Mary(lady Madonna) is one of the patron saints of Catalonia-  a region in Northern Spain, that is currently vouching to be an independent country. It has a separate flag, dialect-a mix of French and Spanish and Barcelona belongs to it. The story of Catalonia (or Catalunya) is another blogpost on its own but point is Virgin Mary is a significant character. The statue is called ‘le Morenata’ literally meaning the little black one because well, it is black. I guess when they named it so they didn’t imagine that real people could actually be Black. It is a wooden sculpture created between the 9th and 12th century and it is believed that the varnish turned black due to natural forces. Some believe that it has healing powers when you touch it, that is open for discussion. Soon afterwards, a choir that is not the boys choir sang. Never underestimate the energy of aged people, especially when it comes to singing. It was delightful music.



Travelling is fun, but it can be stressful because all of the time you are making decisions, should I do this or go there, how much will it cost, will I have enough time, am I making good use of my time? among other concerns crowd your mind. That is exactly what hit me then, I thought I was done having seen most what there is to see, besides I didn’t dress the part for hiking and I was flying the next morning. All things considered, the safest option was to go ‘home’, pack and chill. Maybe it was the hunger filling my head with negativity. Due to poor planning I did the mistake of not packing lunch (which by the way is the cheapest way to eat in Europe), so I ate at the cafeteria which by my standards was my most expensive meal. Mistakes are bound to happen but I’m glad I stayed because soon afterwards, all I wanted was to move.


Lets move!


I decided to go some leg stretching and sightseeing despite the physical discomfort of jeans. I took a trail that led to the highest peak [Sant Jeroni] because (I like to kill myself ), why not? Moreover, it was estimated to take 2.5 hours which is just about the time I had planned to stay there. Although I’ve forgotten most of it, I still remember the fear of going through the forests (alone), the funicular ride, the artwork of the rocks such as the Elephant, the pregnant woman among others, the random conversations with fellow hikers, the exhaustion, the relief/disappointment of realizing how much of the journey is left.


Catching my breath





A chapel on the hill

When on top of the world (At Sant Jeroni peak)




#ViewsToDieFor



French steps


My cap has been to places




I also remember swearing that this would my last hike/exercise ever. It turned to be one of those resolutions I happily didn't stick to. The hike was relatively long but on reaching the summit, (of course after catching my breath), I forgot it all.  It felt [insert a nice, cozy, proud, happy feeling] to be on top of Barcelona, quite literally. I could see it all from that point, the monastery, the other peaks, the city, the people -I had to zoom in and they still look like ants. A couple of selfies and photos later I was ready to head back. This was relatively easy but they were fewer people now and I was going through a forest, it doesn’t mean they weren’t beautiful sights.



Imagine having to climb after 1.5 hours hiking


By 4:45 pm I was back at the monastery filled with endorphins and a desire for more. Like a drug addict, I decided to do another trail. I had to be time conscious because I wasn’t prepared for what might have happened if the last train left. For starters I would miss my flight that was scheduled on the next morning and I would have to book a room up in the mountain hotel and book another flight. You can already tell that I’m neither rich nor one to splash money unnecessarily. I chose a short trail that was estimated to take 1.5 hours. Little did I know what I was getting myself into. Here is how it is described in the itinerary guide:

“Tradition sets the finding of Our Lady of Montserrat in the place known as Santa Cova (Holy Grotto). The chapel dates from the 18th century. It is remarkable the monumental ensemble with the mysteries of the Rosary standing along the path. Head towards the cable station (Aeri de Montserrat) walking down the stairs on the left side of the rack railway station (Cremellera). Take the paved path that descents between the station and the rack railway and in 20 min you will get to the lower station of Santa Cova funicular. Follow then the way of the Rosary, wide and flanked by monuments which recall events in the lives of Jesus and Mary. It will take you another 20 min to get toSanta Cova’s chapel. Return using the same path.”

What is not explicit is that the forward journey is downhill making backward journey much more difficult, and it’s that its quite hilly in between. I also didn’t foresee the fact that that it’s not a good idea to do it late in the evening alone because the brain makes up things in the dark. Oblivious to these facts, I took the challenge. Truth is it was scary, since it was late, there were not many people taking the route, as a matter of fact, I was the only one. I should have felt protected by the holy statues and the religious significance of the route, but it was all offset by the darkness, being alone, the height (did I mention the height) and weird structures, perhaps ghosts, my brain was seeing. The thought that this would be my last time in Montserrat is all that kept me going. One by one I covered the stations of the rosary up to the chapel which was already closed by that time. Considering everything at stake, missing the Cremallera, missing a step and falling, seeing ghosts was enough to scare me away. I immediately started my way back. Even though with everything at stake, some views were worth risking for.







TheCapHasStoriesToTel

#Views


I arrived back in time to catch three more Cremallera, this time I was so high in endorphins that I could risk everything for one more adventure. They say ‘Be careful what you wish for’ and I should have listened. I went for another short walk around the Monastery to see the Els Degotalls rock shelter where in former days filtered water dripped from the rocks. This one wasn’t very exciting but it was enough to cool me down. I almost missed the last Cremallera but luck was on my side that day I not only made it but I ended in a coach with a bunch of cool people. I met a South African who studied at UCT but fate had it that we had to meet not in CapeTown or South Africa or even Africa but in Barcelona, specifically Montserrat. I had such great conversations with him and his European friends that I didn’t want the day to end. Sadly, it had to come to an end. I had procrastinated for too long now that it was now urgent. I arrived ‘home’ sometime around midnight, grateful at how great the day was.  I flew to Athens next, with new friends, happy memories and an appetite for the mountains. Athens did a great job to top this experience.

I’ll always remember 7th December 2016, not because it was first Saturday of December or for any other reason. All things considered, it was a happy day, I did the hike to remember.




Fun fact.
Montserrat is Catalan for ‘saw mountain’ due to its jagged appearance. Christopher Columbus named the Caribbean island of Montserrat after this mountain.

Interested in visiting?
Go for it! You won’t regret it.
Here are some links of interest.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop in what you have to say ... in the spirit of an amazing life..:)